Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A poem for my grandfather

I wrote this poem for my grandpa, Zenon, who lives in Poland, and whom I've never met. I wish my wanderlust would have led me to you.


The Mountains

if I met you now, we’d go to the mountains
you’d drive me in your little yellow European car to the summer house, with Gypsy and Cuba, even though I keep forgetting that Cuba died years ago
nevertheless, she’d come too
because dogs and cats and people alike love the mountains
and we’d cook sausage, but first you’d pour me vodka, and we’d toast, and we’d speak in Polish, and I’d know all the words

if I met you now, we’d go swimming in the Baltic
and my dad would be there, too
and I’d ask about the time when you were in a rock band, and when you wore leather pants
and I’d ask if you liked my dad’s hair in the ‘80s when it was long, when he liked metal
and I’d ask you about Joanna, because that’s my name, too, and she was beautiful
and I’d ask you to tell me the story about how you met, and how she liked reading, how she worked in a castle, and how you were in a rock band
because I don’t know that story, but I know you met in the mountains

if I met you now, we’d meet in the mountains
and I’d comment on the cultural differences, but it wouldn’t matter because
you and I wouldn’t have cultural differences
and my dad would be happy that we were together, and he’d pretend I was his sister, and he’d have that time back with you, and we’d play card games, and Gypsy would sit on my lap

if I met you now, I’d meet Zosia, too
and we’d cook dinner and gossip together, and I’d say I like her new haircut, and she’d say I was beautiful, and she’d say I look like Joanna
and then we’d go out into the living room, and you’d show me the place where you’d Skyped with me, and then we’d laugh because we were together, and Skype was a material device that plasticized my face and plasticized your face, and we’d admit
we never liked doing that because it was never enough
and then we’d watch football, and my dad and I would yell at the same times, and I would notice I look more like him than I thought
and then we’d fall asleep, and Gypsy would snore, and you and I would sneak out into the dark night, and you’d show me the way your garden beams from the starlight, and the flowers would brush against my ankles
and we’d fall asleep, and we’d wake in the morning, and that’s where we’d be


Yanna

No comments:

Post a Comment